Python 2.7.6 was released on November 10, 2013. This is a 2.7 series bugfix release. Most importantly, it resolves an issue that caused the interactive prompt to crash on OS X 10.9. It also includes numerous bugfixes over 2.7.5.
This is a production release. Please report any bugs you encounter.
We currently support these formats for download:
- Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.6) (sig)
- Windows x86 MSI program database (2.7.6) (sig)
- Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.7.6)  (sig)
- Windows X86-64 MSI program database (2.7.6)  (sig)
- Windows help file (sig)
- Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit x86-64/i386 Installer (2.7.6) for Mac OS X 10.6 and later  (sig). [You may need an updated Tcl/Tk install to run IDLE or use Tkinter, see note 2 for instructions.]
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.6) for Mac OS X 10.3 and later  (sig).
- XZ compressed source tar ball (2.7.6) (sig)
- Gzipped source tar ball (2.7.6) (sig)
The source tarballs are signed with Benjamin Peterson's key, which has key id 18ADD4FF. The Windows installer was signed by Martin von Löwis' public key, which has a key id of 7D9DC8D2. The Mac installers were signed with Ned Deily's key, which has a key id of 6F5E1540. The public keys are located on the download page.
MD5 checksums and sizes of the released files:
ec3184d886efdc4c679eeaed5f62643b 18244674 python-2.7.6-pdb.zip e4866ce2f277d1f8e41d6fdf0296799d 17458242 python-2.7.6.amd64-pdb.zip b73f8753c76924bc7b75afaa6d304645 16674816 python-2.7.6.amd64.msi ac54e14f7ba180253b9bae6635d822ea 16281600 python-2.7.6.msi ef628818d054401bdfb186a1faa8b5b6 6010777 python276.chm b721f7899e131dfdc0f33d805a90a677 20588267 python-2.7.6-macosx10.3.dmg a2b0f708dcd5e22148e52ae77c6cdd3e 20169125 python-2.7.6-macosx10.6.dmg 1d8728eb0dfcac72a0fd99c17ec7f386 14725931 Python-2.7.6.tgz bcf93efa8eaf383c98ed3ce40b763497 10431288 Python-2.7.6.tar.xz
About the 2.7 release series
Among the features and improvements to Python 2.6 introduced in the 2.7 series are
- An ordered dictionary type
- New unittest features including test skipping, new assert methods, and test discovery
- A much faster io module
- Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
- Float repr improvements backported from 3.x
- Tile support for Tkinter
- A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
- Set literals
- Set and dictionary comprehensions
- Dictionary views
- New syntax for nested with statements
- The sysconfig module
|||(1, 2) The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly IA-64).|
|||(1, 2) There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.|